Sea Kayaking Courses in the Central Zone of Chile
Not this season.
*Ask for our courses in the Lake
District-Northern Patagonia Fjords.
||no experience required
*Ask for our courses in the Lake District-Northern
||3 days of theory (21:00-23:30) and
2 days of practice
| Time of Year
| Trip Details
||Starts and ends in Santiago
| # of participants
||2 to 6 participants
||Weather in the area
||beautiful lake and sea lanscapes
of central Chile
|City-Tour in Valparaíso
||Lake and sea navigation
|How To Get There
YAK EXPEDICIONES is the first
sea kayaking school in Chile. Our courses are designed for those
who want to embrace the exhilarating world of sea kayaking voyages
and also for those who would like to learn how to organize and implement
their own self-supported trip considering improving their paddling
technique, learn various rescue methods (self rescue and rescue
of others), but mainly to travel taking care of nature and in a
This course simulates a real trip, in a self-sufficient manner
to a geographic zone of variable climate and very special conditions.
At the end of our course, you will have much more confidence in
your abilities and you can make use of a great number of tools which
will permit you to enjoy your trip to it's fullest, knowing what
comes with the knowledge to resolve any eventualities that could
While increasing your confidence, more places will become safely
accessible to you and your group. Our instructors know what works
and what does not, therefore, do not hesitate to ask about any insecurities
you have about the situations you may encounter.
We will firmly strive to achieve the potential of adventure rescue
experiences transforming them into learning experiences. Qualities
such as how to enjoy working the equipment, the integration of all
the members of the trip, the motivation, and personal development
will naturally develop while interacting with nature.
To live an experience, reflect on it, and then later be able to
apply it to our daily life will be a gift that we were not expecting
to receive from a simple trip through nature.
Reasons why you should take this course
- You can be sure you will get personalized attention (average
3 students per class, max 6)
- You will be attended by our Headguide instructor (check section
Who We Are (*))
- We are pioneers in the use of double kayaks for instruction
- We will practice in the best place to learn
- We are serious about the quality of our equipment. Our
kayaks ( doubles or singles ) are expedition models, the best
- We are equipped with marine band radios.
- Equipment necessary to perform a sea kayaking excursion (paddling,
rescue, clothing, camping).
- Potential dangers and sea navigation (weather, the group, area,..)
- Video analysis, topographic maps and nautical charts.
- Safety and rescue methods for the sea.
- General Orientation (topographical maps, nautical charts, Satellite
photos, instrumental navigation).
- Basic knowledge about hypothermia, sunstroke, and dehydration.
- Route planning and hazard plan.
- Principles about leadership and Leave No Trace.
- Knowledge of equipment, regulations and cautions.
- Leaning, bracing, and paddling techniques.
- Evacuation and equipment retrieval in the water.
- Systems and types of sea rescue techniques.
- Eskimo Roll (demo)
- Landing and launching (entering and leaving the sea and the
- Kayak Surf practice
- Evaluation of potential dangers.
- Group dynamics while on trip.
- Landing evaluation and beach camping
You will use double and single kayaks during the course.
|Itinerary and schedule
Theoretical classes: Tuesday, Wednesday
and Thursday (21:00-23:30 hrs.)
Practical classes: Saturday and Sunday
(even if raining)
- Saturday: At 9AM we will gather
in the office, where, after loading the kayaks and equipment in
our special conditioned vehicle, we will head to a lake in the
central zone. We'll have our first practice, getting to
know the equipment, its use, rescue maneuvers, self and assisted.
Then we will practice paddling techniques, leaning and bracing
as we go along the beatiful shores of the lake.
- Sunday : We gather in the office
at 9 AM, load the kayaks and head this time to the sea.
We will practice what we learned the day before in marine conditions,
and learn new techniques and sea condition evaluation.
- Swimming expertise
- Contemplative attitude and respect for the existing ecosystem.
- Physical state and health compatible with the activity to be
- Previous indication of any illness or health problem.
- You'll find your trip even more enjoyable if you remember
to bring flexibility and a sense of humor with you.
- Strictly abide by the indications of the guides during the trips
- Positive mental attitude in front of unexpected situations
- Understand that this is team activity in the outdoors and
the participation of each person at each stage is fundamental.
- Understand that all activities performed in nature can indicate
- Before trip you must turn in a signed form of Release
- To have read and clearly understand the General
- Transportation in our van from Santiago
- Paddling Equipment: Single and doubles sea kayaks imported from
the USA and Germany, expedition models with original rudder, spray
skirt, paddles, life jackets, paddling jackets and wetsuits.
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Instruction in double kayaks ( to increase safety and speed
up learning ) and singles. You will learn both boats and
maneuvers for each of them.
- Complete manual
- Entrance and put in fees when required
- Bilingual instructor with ample experience ( multiple sea kayak
expeditions and explorations along Chile, NOLS Kayak Courses and
Wilderness First Responder ), certify as a ACA Seakayak Instructor Level 4, and certify as a BCU 4 Star Sea Award.
- Meals NOT included
Recommended clothing for paddling:
sun hat, sun glasses with straps, solar protection lotion, polar
jacket (midweight or expedition polipropilen ideally), bathing
suit, polipropilene pants ideally or wind-proof pants, your own
wetsuit if possible, sandals or running shoes that will get get,
1 water bottle and extra personal food if desired.
NOTE: This course
can be scheduled in different hours and places upon request.
Note: Sea kayaking is a potentially hazardous pursuit,
partly because of the nature of the environment in which we operate.
AFTER you press the RESERVATION button, send us an email specifying:
- Your Name , age
Name of the trip you want (number of days)
Number of participants
Date of the trip you want (and your availability)
* we will send you a Reservation and Medical Forms that you have to send us back by email.