About the area :
“ South of Puerto Montt, Chile fragments into
uncountable islands, with deep fiord that allow the Sea to touch
the Andes... this is where Patagonia starts "
" When the Spanish arrived in Chiloé in the 16th century,
they found the islands and continental fjords populated by a seagoing
people known as Chonos, who paddled canoes known as dalcas. Fabricated
from three sewn boards, these dalcas held 10 or 12 people and were,
in according to early chroniclers, the most seaworthy craft in the
Our trip will cross the spectacular scenario of Hornopiren National
Park and the Northern part of Pumalin Park,
considered to be the last virgin forests in Southern Chile
The only way to access these fjords is by water , as no road exist.
We will paddle through unforgettable places. Hanging forests, enormous
waterfalls that fall directly into the sea, gigantic walls of rock
disappearing into the water and hot springs, endless cliffs, pioneers
and their histories, seabirds, dolphins, sea lions
and incredible hiking trails to huge waterfalls...and much more.
The Northern Patagonia Fjords are compared with the Fiordland area in New Zealand and are located in a remote area, where
the weather plays an important role and the tides and winds are
elements that are critically considered. While appreciating
the attractions you realize an intense and surprising experience
with the beautiful nature of the Chilean Patagonia.
Our experience running seakayak trips in this area since 1998 with an average of 10 seakayak trips per season plus a powerful network of fishermen friends give us the support in an area that is always changing.
We are pioneers in offering self-sufficient sea kayak trips in the Patagonia Fjords of Pumalin Park , this means no support boat, so all the gear required will be inside the kayaks (food, camping equipment, ...) offering us freedom of movement and the possibility to vary our program at any given moment.
What makes this holiday different ?
* Our focus is in cultural based-adventures and authentic experiences by interacting in the areas of the fjords with the local people and their culture.
* Your trip leader and owner of the company will make his best effort to offer the best expefrience possible and safe , certified as a BCU 4Star by the British Canoe Union of England and certified as by the American Canoe Union as a ACA Seakayak Instructor Level 4 with more than 15 years guiding seakayak expeditions in Patagonia and more than 120 trips in the area of the Fjords of Pumalin Park.
Consider also that this is a good opportunity to practice your
spanish with our local guides and the local people we will meet
during the trip.
* Our guides hold informal talks with groups to inform about and
discuss with them all aspects of local life. This helps understanding
of the area and appreciation of the people who live there.
* Our SMALL group size ensures an intense participation of the people , mor safety , and a
low impact trip (average 3-4 participants).
* As we paddle we will visit a sealion colony and probably be lucky to find a small pinguin colony.
*While paddling , we will cross to an island and and enjoy its hotsprings.
* We use locally produced and fresh products as much as possible
and always in preference choose local over imported goods.
* We pack out all waste and minimize this by using products with
minimum packaging, leaving no litter and keeping all water sources
We are supporting the community by providing books for children
of the local school of the Northern Patagonia Fjords , our main
What do we offer ?
" We invite to live the history of this place more than just reading it "
Our trips not only will take you through an
inspiring scenery , but you will go home with fond memories of the
time you spend with the local fishing pioneers families (colonos)
in their own surroundings and how they live , plus first hand experience
of the local fishing industry.
... a real sea kayaking trip through Patagonia... which combines true adventure, security, freedom, challenge and multicultural experiences amongst a spectacular scenery: the Northern Patagonia Fjords.
Before beginning the trip we will have a complete safety talk about
tides, winds, weather, trip logistics. Also will be offered a general practice of paddling stokes and rescue that will be donelater in the sea.
While offering this new tools , transforming you into a more skilled and confident paddler, we hope that you will enjoy more the trip. Our idea is to travel more than just as a group of paddlers ... it is to develop a Team of Adventurers that will enjoy together the beauties of the Patagonia Fjords.
Open your Facebook first:
and more in our Facebook page, Section Photos , Album
||*Suitable for any level including
(includes paddling and rescue practice before the trip)
New Trip !!
6 Days Full Fjords Expedition
| Time of year
||Start and finish in Puerto Varas.
||Máx. 8 persons
in this area
||Pioneers villages, Yates, Hornopirén
and Michimahuida Volcanoes, huge waterfalls, steep rock walls
dissapearing in the sea, torrential rivers and massive temperate
rainforests, LLancahué hot springs, dolphins, sea lions,
sometime Humboldt pinguins , variety of seabirds..
(optional= not included)
|*Puerto Varas : Hiking on the foothills of Volcan Osorno,
Canyoning, horseback riding, canoeing , visit Chiloe Island and its churches .
* SMALL GROUPS (safety
,more participation and less impact while we visit local families)
* Our trips not only will take you through an inspiring scenery
, but you will go home with fond memories of the time you spend
with the local fishing pioneers families.
* Complete safety talk and sea kayak practice .
* Seakayak navigation in the Northern Patagonia Fjords
* Paddling between 3 volcanoes
* Paddle to a sealion colony , make an effort to try to find a small pinguin colony
* Night paddling
* Huge waterfalls falling directly in the sea
* Dense untouched rainforest
* Wildlife watching
* Hiking (Day 1 and Day 3)
* Visit Llancahué Hot Springs
||Fly from your country
to Santiago-Chile aiport and from there 2 alternatives:
1)Bus - aprox 12 hours from Santiago to Puerto Varas
2)Airplane: aprox. 2 hours from Santiago to Puerto Montt airport
then a taxi to Puerto Varas (30min).
“... A unique untouched piece, an unforgettable adventure, and
a fascinating experience of the culture, East of the Golfo de Ancud
... All these ...just for few people ...
If it rains , it becomes an opportunity to see how the landscape turns ... magic.
(Puerto Varas , Trip Logistic Meeting)
At 20hrs , we will meet in an hotel in Puerto Varas to introduce the members of the group and explain the trip logistics.
is a small and pleasant city 20 km north of Puerto Montt (just 30 minutes from the airport) , located
next to Llanquihue lake and in front of Osorno Volcano (2652m) and
1,000 km south of Santiago.
(Puerto Varas - Hike Alerce Andino National Park - Pumalin Park)
At 9 AM we meet with the group in a hotel in Puerto Varas and inmediatelly we will start driving the Carretera Austral , which opens a way between the Andes Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, and is the only road that goes to the Patagonia area.
As we travel we will see pcturesque fishermen villages , and we will make a detour to hike in Alerce Andino National Park mainly to see Alerce trees, the second oldest tree in the world. Box Lunch
We will continue driving and cross by ferryboat the Reloncavi Fjord, the first Patagonian fiord, with great views of Yates Volcanoe. In our way to the fjords we will enjoy some vistas of the Hornopiren volcanoe too.
Then the road will lead us to a 3rd class dirty road crossing the turbulent
waters of the Rio Blanco, to continue across the foothills of a
sheer rock wall. Finally the Comau fiord will show up,
amidst high mountains and steep shores, introducing us to the spectacular
scenario of Pumalin Park.
In the afternoon we will setup our campsite in front of the sea , in the property of a family of "colonos" (pioneers of this area) having the opportunity to see and feel how people of this remote locations live.
Camp at Comau
(Seakayak Practice - Sealion Colony -Hotsprings)
After breakfast we will have a safety talk and practical class about paddling techniques
and rescues to begin inmediately our kayaking trip paddling
west to the Llancahue Hot springs . We will make our best effort to visit a sealion colony and try to find a small pinguin colony that exist in the area (weather permitting and group performance) . Box Lunch at the hotsprings .
In the afternoon we
will return to our campsite enjoying the sunset and dinner with a family of real pioneers . (B-BL-D)
(Seakayak Quintupeu Fjord - Hike to Waterfalls - Dresden)
After breakfast we will start our self
sufficient trip to the Comau Fiord (everything goes inside the kayaks).
Imagine this day paddling in between 3 volanoes . To the north: Yates and
Hornopirén volcanoe and in the south , Michimahuida volcanoe, located in southern Pumalin park.
Kayak sailing :
After 2 hours, we will reach the narrow entrance to the Quintupeu
fiord, with its sheer rock walls covered by lush vegetation, huge
ferns and big cascades that fall into the sea. We will stop for to a hike just under a huge waterfall to continue exploring in our kayaks this steep fjord where
the Dresden, a 3,600-ton light cruiser, one of the fastest ships
in the German Imperial Navy , was hidden during the World War I. (B-L-D)
NOTE: if weather conditions are unstable during day 3 probably we
will return to our first campsite the same day and the next day after an early lunch return to Puerto Varas in the afternoon.
(Night Paddling, probably - Puerto Varas)
VERY early in the morning, or at night, we will start our return
paddling for aprox 4 hours a totally different landscape. Lunch with a local family in the fjords and return to Puerto Varas in the afternoon. (B-L)
Consider an additional day in case the weather or any other unexpected
situation delays out return to Puerto Varas.
The spring and summer months , October till March are generally
pleasant, although it could rain at any given moment. The temperatures
fluctuate, according to the weather, between the 8 and 20 centigrades.
The temperature of the sea has an average of 12-13 centigrades
during the summer.
The area we will be paddling in can have a tidal variation of up to
6 meters (18 feet), which implies that the sea may withdraw several
thousand meters, offering variable landscapes along the day.
This also requires a very complex logistic to be combined with the
wind schedule and steep shores, which involves night or pre-dawn
The Ancud Gulf is relatively a small body of water between Chiloé
island and the continent, approximately 42°15"S,
73°W. This area makes up the northern part of the Chilean Patagonia. The
fiords are along the continental side of the Gulf, before the Huequi
peninsula, while the islands are found on the east margin of Chiloé.
- * SMALL GROUPS (safety , more participation , and less impact
while we visit the local families)
* A very good possibility to live the history more than reading
it as we will have the opportunity to talk with real pioneers.
* Complete safety-talk and practice in the sea before departure
about paddling and rescue maneuvers (although it rains).
* Transportation in private van from Puerto Varas, traveling
the impressive Southern Highway (carretera Austral) until the
point where we will initiate our adventure at Comau Fjord and
from there back to Puerto Varas.
* Reloncaví Fjord navigation (Ferry boat)
* All the food during the trip according to program (from lunch
Day 1 till lunch Day 4)
(B: breakfast ; L: boxlunch or trail food ; D: Dinner)
* Navigation Equipment:
mainly double sea Kayaks imported from the USA, Canada and
Germany, expedition models, with original rudder, spray skirt,
paddles, life jackets, paddling jackets, or single kayaks (just if experience is demonstrated).
* 2 person shared tents, tarp, and cooking equipment
* Easy hike in Alerce Andino National Park (park fees included) / short hike Quintupeu Fjord
(Day 1 and 3)
* Visit Llancahué Hot Springs... if group performance and weather conditions allows
* Safety Equipment: Satellite Telephone, Marine Band Radio,
rescue equipment, towing equipment, tide tables, charts or satellite
* Guide: certify by the British Canoe Union as BCU 4 STar Sea
Award, certified as ACA Seakayak Instructor Level 4, bilingual sea kayaking guide (English) with first aid
and rescue knowledge (Wilderness First Responder Course) and
* Limited insurance while seakayaking (chilean company)
- Swimming expertise.
- Physical condition and health compatible with the activity to
- Previous indication of any illness or health problem .
- You'll find your trip even more enjoyable if you remember to
bring flexibility and a sense of humor with you.
- Don’t expect everything to be perfect or predictable, but do expect to have a great time!
Always try to do your share of the work in a group.
- You'll find your trip even more enjoyable if you remember to
bring flexibility and a sense of humor with you.
- Positive mental attitude in front of unexpected situations
- Understand that this trip requieres a lot of team work
and the participation of each person in all the stages of the
- Understand that all activities performed in nature can indicate
- The program could be modified at any stage due to weather conditions
or sudden incidents that could affect the security of the group
- If you want to participate in this trip:
- Before the trip you must send by fax and signed the Release
of Liability Form that appears in this link.
- To have read and have a clear understanding of the
Terms and Conditions section existing
in our web site (cancellation,Modification and Evacuation Protocols).
- Every participant must send the Reservation and Medical Form
that appears after you press this button.
- Pay the trip (please ask)
- The trip has been planned with the consideration of those
without previous experience. Before we begin our trip, on
Day 2 we will have a complete safety-talk about rescue techniques
and paddling maneuvers so that our participants feel more
comfortable during the trip and can really enjoy the beautiful
views of the Northern Patagonia Fjords. To improve the enjoyment
of our customers, we use both double and single kayaks.
Our kayaks are expedition models from USA , Germany and
Canada , very comfortable and stable. Our 2nd day paddling
will finish , if weather allows, at the hot springs.
- Please consider that you have chosen Patagonia , a place
where the weather is unpredicatble, so we can have sun
but also rainny days , very relaxing days but also windy
" If it rains, we will get wet ...and smile the opportunity to be lucky to be in this magical place where few people has been before "
- Hospitals and Professional First Aid Care are very far
from the place where we will be navigating.
*Evacuations can be very slowly and participantes must
be healthy and in good physical conditions
AFTER you press the RESERVATION button, send us an email specifying:
- Your Name , age
Name of the trip you want (number of days)
Number of participants
Date of the trip you want (and your availability)
* we will send you a Reservation and Medical Forms that you have to send us back by email